Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, April 11, 2008

    Textures

    I've recently discovered the use of layered textures in photography.  I have seen this process beautifully accomplished by this man.  I wish I could go back in time and invent this process before he thought of it....but I'll just have to settle for ripping him off.  He actually has his set of textures for sale, but alas, I am but a poor aspiring photographer who has to make do with a homemade version.  Which I am ok with...it makes me feel a little less like a copycat!  There are actually alot of photographers that I admire who use his textures on their wedding and engagement photos.  I'm not that skilled/experienced/brave yet.  I'll do some behind the scenes work and see what I come up with--if there is a happy ending, I'll post for all to see.  Otherwise, just know that the world of textures didn't give me a warm welcome! :)

    So here is my first attempt--not perfect, but it's a start!  Notice it is on my newly bloomed hyacinth (which I am so pumped has survived my absolute neglect) and not people.  I haven't gotten the hang of textures over skin tones yet.  

    Just for comparison's sake, here is the image straight out of the camera. 


    I used my new macro lens (another fun photography first--definitely a new world for me) to photograph the flower and the layers.  I tested out a few different surfaces, and the rusty sewer cover seemed to work the best.  To add another dimension, I photographed the lace from my going away dress and used that layer to parallel and complement the lines of the flower.

     I'd like to do some kind of series with this....maybe with a "new beginnings" theme.  Selfishly and superficially, I just need something to hang up in my house--any of you who have been to visit know that the walls are painfully bare.  But for the sake of art, let's run with the idea that there is a journey to be had and creativity to explore.  Any ideas for the next addition?

    1 comment:

    Snarky Seamstress said...

    Love it! It would be beautiful on a canvas, maybe one day when I have a house, I'll buy it! I hear you're taking the pictures for a friend of mine's daughter's joint sweet 16 party!