Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday, December 5, 2007

    Pompeii

    Don't let the creepy-eyed ad scare you away.  It's worth forgoing two crappy holiday movies to pay the ticket fee to the Pompeii exhibition at the Birmingham Museum of Art.  After some not-so-subtle hinting on my part, Adam decided to pack up the kids ("kids" being me) last Saturday morning and head downtown.  The whole exhibit is genius.  They build you up with background info and accounts from neighboring cities, and then throw you into the life of Pompeii in 79 A.D.   The city was excavated in sections (obviously), but the Museum was clever enough to follow suit and show the Mt. Vesuvius victims in the vulnerable state in which they were found.  You see the possessions they felt were most valuable and can deduct their way of life and relationships from their final moments.  Plus, the exhibit signs use the term "pyroclastic surge" alot.  And I think that is fun to say.

    3 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    I think the Birmingham Museum of Art is probably the best one in the South. I could spend days in a museum and get lost in the collections. May have to drop a subtle hint to my own husband about making a trip there. Could be a nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon while the grandparents are babysitting!

    Anonymous said...

    It sounds very interesting. Your Mom and I have yet to check out the museums here in Melbourne but I am sure we will get to it soon enough. They actually have an Immigration Museum here. Definitely pyroclastic surge is fun to say! Love, Dad.

    Crissy said...

    I tend to say "pyroplastic" instead of pyroclastic. Silly me.